Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Voices

What is going on here, on one level, is simple -- I'm trying to rediscover myself as writer, after many years ignoring that part of myself in order to work with others, either as an editor, or a teacher, or a friend -- and sometimes as all three. In the distant past, I published three books, and I currently owe a publisher a fourth (a biography of Jann Wenner); and have partially written but not sold a fifth (about my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Afghanistan); and here am probably developing a sixth, perhaps a novel about love and love lost. But there is a seventh that needs to be written, as well, about the murder of a dear friend's mother, which we may soon explore here in this space. I have other ideas, as well.

In other words, a whole lot is being compressed into this simple little blogspace. I am starting from the place of my still-broken heart, and my enormous sense of loss of a relationship that felt perfect to me on so many levels. I hope to broaden out soon from my own pain to connect with others about their own personal senses of loss, but also about how they rediscovered joy in life. Because, let's face it. Our time here is short. We all need to be able to capture the beauty and the humor of our lives in this time and place. And, then, of course, to let it go, as we must each learn to do. Whatever is happening to all of us, it is funny, at least from where I sit, as well as very, very sad. There are two types of tears.

Like all of you, I know both all too well...

No comments: