Sunday, October 15, 2006

Courageous Actions



Thirty-two years after her mother's body was found floating in the Bay, my friend confronted the man who is the chief suspect in her murder today. I'll be more explicit about this case at some future point.

The man has written a book, apparently a pretty good book. Since his bad old days, when he ended up doing time for another (attempted) murder, he has educated himself, found a career, and in recent years established himself as a writer, as well. He's well spoken, intelligent, and appears today to be a respectable member of his community.

But he did not respond well when my friend asked him to comment about her mother's murder. He didn't answer her question, saying instead that he didn't know the woman. His comrades quickly asked friendlier questions right after he had dismissed my friend's query, and he gratefully went off in long-winded answers to those, never returning to mysterious murder case that happened on his watch, when by his own admission he was taking "military actions" on behalf of the organization he was loyal to.

Afterwards, a reporter went up to question him privately about my friend's mother's case. We'll see whether a story results. What I noticed as I observed this man from the audience today is that his eyes have a deadness to them -- I look I've seen before. It is a characteristic of killers of all types -- assassins, serial killers, and soldiers.

The good that was done today is this man now knows he did not really get away with murder. The case is still out there, ticking like a time bomb in case he, or someone close to him, makes a false step. The statute never runs out on murder...

***



My body is still hurting this evening with a strange pain in my back and side abdomen. I'll try to get that checked tomorrow. I cooked a less-than-successful meal of lamb shanks tonight for the kids -- they tried it but didn't really like it. Now, I'm sipping Sleepy Time Tea, hoping to do something I couldn't do last night, as is implicit in this product's name...

-30-

No comments: