Tuesday, February 06, 2007

He's got my vote!


So our mayor, here in San Francisco, had a brief affair a year and a half ago, while he was going through his divorce. Now, he has said he is an alcoholic, and he's going to seek treatment.

I can't speak for other residents of Barbary Coast Village, but these revelations only increase my loyalty to my mayor. To be truthful, I didn't vote for him in the last election; instead, I supported the upstart, Matt Gonzalez.

I fell for the anti-Pac Heights rhetoric the Left was hurling at him. But I should have known better. I'd met him the year before, spent some time with him, in the owner's box at Candlestick Park during a 49ers game, and I liked him. He was impossible not to like. He's sincere, funny, self-deprecating -- nice to be around, although perhaps not if he's your boss.

But I got swept up in the passionate movement behind Gonzalez, who seemed to be leading a populist uprising against the downtown business interests who'd held sway throughout Willie Brown's reign.

Newsom got to me when he took his stand in support of gay marriage. Then, he solidified my support by his constant attention to kids in some of the city's most dangerous housing projects. He sealed the deal when he joined striking hotel workers on the picket line -- against those same downtown business types I'd imagined as his allies.

Clearly, this guy has a reckless streak, much like most great politicians -- JFK, Clinton, maybe Obama.

I just feel better toward him knowing he can admit to some of the same mistakes almost every living, breathing person makes. Since when do our politicians have to be different from the rest of us?

I enjoyed watching Newsom work the room at the big Democratic Party fundraiser just before last November's election. He exuded charisma, and attracted every bit as much attention as did Nancy Pelosi, soon to be Speaker of the House.

Clinton, on the other hand, is in a whole different category: He's a rock star.

Gavin could learn a few things from Bill. Or, he could be like Dubya and become an evangelist for the ex-drinker community -- an ever-growing constituency all across the nation.

But if he listens to Bill, maybe he can figure out a way to (sorry, cliché-haters) have his wine and drink it too. Either way, he's such a hunk that attracting the ladies will never be an issue for him.

Nor will attracting votes, at least in San Francisco. I can't speak for the rest of the state or the union. Given that we have a trash-talking groper at Governor, and an outright idiot as President, I'm not sure which "family values" exactly these Republicans represent.

Nope, Gavin's my guy. And p.s., Mr. Mayor, thank you for that thank you note you sent me after I met you. This post is my way of writing back, hopefully at a moment when you can use some support.

-30-

No comments: