Thursday, February 08, 2007

The new content boom



Those ever-clever innovators at TODO Monthly now have launched eTODO, amonthly email newsletter with the same smart writing, beautiful images, and useful tips to life in my favorite city. They're holding their "heavy petting party" tonight; although I cannot attend, I wish them my best.




Congratulations, Kiri Henderson, designer Rhonda Rubinstein, editor Michael Phillips Moskowitz and team!







You can subscribe to this FREE newsletter at info@todomonthly.com .

PLUS, I am thrilled to see TODO is promoting my other favorite San Francisco content startup -- Weekend Sherpa .





My friend and I had the pleasure of a nice lunch at the Fairmount on this rainy Thursday with Founder Brad Day and marketing genius Holly Kulak. This extremely low-key little gem of a FREE newsletter arrives in my inbox every Thursday morning. It contains three or four brief, lively tips for things to do on the upcoming weekend.

Weekend Sherpa has the inestimable Don George onboard as a senior editorial consultant. Besides being one of the best travel editors in the business, as anyone in travel writing will testify, Don was always one of my favorite people back in our mutual Salon days.

I miss our lunches at Eddie Rickenbacker's!

***

Lest all of this seem like some sort of marketing blather, let me explain. Launching new magazines, newsletters and websites has long been my passion. But rarely have I had the courage or the resources to start anything of my own. Sure, I've been part of lots of startups at or near their launches.

But the idea was always someone else's, not mine.

SunDance magazine was the brainchild of two wacky journalists, Ken Kelley and Craig Pyes. Pacific News Service was Sandy Close's baby. Salon.com was all David Talbot. Wired was Louis Rossetto. 7x7 belongs to Tom Hartle. Mother Jones had a trio of grandfathers. Stanford was the brainchild of Leland Stanford.

You get the drift.

The company where I work now is run by its founder and CEO. We are all trying to help him achieve his dream for a content play.

***

As I consider applying for AARP, mainly so I can get the discounts that come with age, I remain frustrated with a career that in other people's eyes, probably looks just fine. Maybe this blog is as good as it gets.

After all, this is 100% me, probably way more than most people would want on any but an occasional basis. But, if I turn a bit promotional from time to time, it is not simply the media launches that attract me, or even the people behind them. It is their dreams.

Nobody pays me for these promotions. Sharing others' dreams is all the compensation I really need. That, and the occasional message encouraging me to continue this modest attempt to pursue my own.
-30-

No comments: