Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Love the future.

photos by Karen Klein
Aidan Dribbling

The hardest part of traveling to New York last week was that I had to miss my 12-year-old son Aidan's JV basketball city league championship game.

At the foul line

His team lost, 29-25, but he apparently played well, scoring 5 points, and grabbing "eight or so" rebounds.

Ready to rebound

Another of the parents who was at Friday's game, Karen Klein, sent me this description, (as well as some photos from a game last month.)

Hi David --
The boys JV final score was 29-25. They were in the lead almost the whole first half, but then the other team pulled it together and stopped letting them get out ahead. They also had one very tall guy who could stand under the basket and grab rebounds. I think that also Synergy just lost some steam. Only the same 7-8 guys were playing for the whole game. Aidan was particularly focused and aggressive in the last quarter, in a really positive way. Very impressive. Really helped make a last push at the very end.
Cheers --
Karen


***

At my lowest moments in my adult life, I've been able to bounce back because of my children. Do I believe in the future? Of course; I have to. It would be a cop-out to stop doing whatever I can toward a better world, because I brought these six people into this world, and they will be here long after I've gone.

Now that the next generation has arrived in the person of James, my grandson, I'm thinking 80 years out -- late in the 21st century. Global climate change will have altered many aspects of human life on earth by then.

The decisions over how to limit the most deleterious effects have to be taken now. Those of us old enough to have any kind of standing in the world need to figure out how we can help the human race survive.

It's not necessary to have your own children to love children and therefore to love the future. My friends Nan and Michelle were so attentive to Dylan in New York last weekend, and neither of them are mothers -- yet.

But whenever any friend asks me what I think about her becoming a parent, I am supportive. We all get to connect to the past through our parents and grandparents. Children and grandchildren project us out into times only yet dimly imagined.

I love talking about the future with my kids, even though there are many scary prospects -- terrorism, nuclear war, global warming -- to contemplate. We are here and we have the intelligence and the tools to reverse harmful courses and help steer in a more sustainable direction. I want my kids to be part of the search for solutions.

Maybe the memories of our talks will be useful in that regard. I hope so.

-30-

No comments: