Sunday, April 22, 2007

The dying rose



Our young athletes, yesterday, won their soccer game, 3-1. Other parents are surprised when I tell them that this artificial turf field (Franklin Square) where our sons play was, half a century ago now, the baseball stadium where Willie Mays and the Giants played for the first seasons after they relocated from New York's Polo Grounds.



As everyone close to me knows, I love seaglass and color and bottles. Tonight, I combined these passions at sunset in the window above my kitchen. It was a lovely evening, warm and hopeful, as I shot these bottles filled with water dyed by food coloring.



This photo captures my sadness -- it is the dying rose.

My housemate and I walked around the building and the yard today, discussing our earthquake preparedness plans. A few days ago, the 101st anniversary of the Great San Francisco Earthquake on April 18, 1906, was duly noted here. This particular property, deep in the bedrock Mission, was not destroyed, but most of our city was.

We agreed, my neighbor and I, that we have the basics in place. Between us, we have many gallons of water, canned foods, medicines, candles, matches, flashlights, batteries, propane stoves, propane barbecue units, and so on. But she reminded me that one extremely valuable item to have on hand after a disaster is cash.

The ATM machines and the credit card authorization units would probably not be working after a disaster.

Luckily, I told her, I have been hoarding coins forever and must therefore have several hundred dollars worth of quarters, dimes, and nickels, not to mention my many thousands of pennies.

Here, we are always aware we are living on borrowed time.

-30-

No comments: