Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Spring Dreams



Last week, one rainy night, as I made my regular pilgrimage to the nearest supermarket, Safeway, about five blocks north of here. Here is the grocery list pinned to my cart that night.

Lest you think this was mine, please note the neat, deliberate handwriting, not to mention the food items on this list. My lists are usually in my head, partly because I can't make out my own handwriting (always a problem for a reporter). When they exist, my shopping lists are never this relaxed, almost leisurely.

Plastered, as it was, inside my cart that night, this list seemed to beg me to photograph it, so I did -- in honor of its unknown author. Even grocery lists can be seen as art in our time. As a big fan of Found magazine, I offer this scrap of paper as one of those random snapshots of our collective daily life.

***

Since it is baseball season, a certain portion of my energy every day and night is reserved for following my favorite team, the Giants, and my fantasy baseball team, the Mud Lake Mafia.

The MLM, after rising as high as 7th place, have tonight retreated to 12th, but they seem to be competitive, and could finish anywhere between 6th and 14th this season.

The Giants, as of tonight, have won seven in a row. Barry Bonds is hitting home runs night after night, including a first-inning three-run shot against the Dodgers tonight that helped seal the deal. He already has seven big flies, and is tied for the National League lead. That's 741 for his career, and just 14 behind Hank Aaron on the all-time list.

Meanwhile, after a terrible start, the Giants are in second place, just one game behind the Dodgers!

Stay tuned.

-30-

No comments: