Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rainy Night Happiness



To my eyes, it is so beautiful, this MyWire that our team has created. The best part of working on the web is the teamwork that is possible, and indeed is necessary to create anything new of value.

I first learned about this process at HotWired in late '95 and early '96. The combination of skills necessary to launch a new website covered an entire range of talents, allowing people of wildly varying orientations and approaches to blend their ideas into an outcome that was part-art, part-product.

Nothing will make you appreciate the galvanizing power of capitalism than working in a startup that begins to take off. The sheer power of market finance rivals the feeling you get when a mighty jet lifts you off the ground.

This love note to capital might seem contradictory, or ironic, from a former Marxist like me. But the truth is I appreciate each form of social organization for its strengths and fear each for its dangers. Theoretically, I am much more drawn to collectivism; but my experience of various economic models leaves me in awe of the obvious superiority of market-based initiatives.

Without going way out where no one reading this would want me to go (the abstract expressionism of theoretical geopoliticalism), let me say that I remain deeply conflicted.

I'm in transition intellectually from my long love affair with technology and capitalism back to my roots, as a radical investigative reporter primarily concerned with global environmental issues. I can see it is time for me to revive my work in the '70s and '80s on the "Circle of Poison," nuclear terrorism, children's environmental health, "The Bhopal Syndrome," and climate change.

Back then, it always felt like no one was listening. Now, it appears everyone is worried.



Some of the best stuff we can provide you if you make MyWire a frequent stop on your browsing of the Internet is a sample of what quality publishers around the globe are saying about global concerns.

Roughly 75% of our audience at MyWire is overseas, i.e., not in the U.S. As we build out this service, I hope people all over the world will find the information they need to save our species from extinction and redirect our cultures instead into a sustainable future.

We can do it together, of that I am sure.

-30-

p.s. Thank you, J, for teaching me how to take a "picture" of a screenshot.

No comments: