Sunday, June 17, 2007

Inner Artists Playing



The heat continues, and with it our fantasies expand. Me and my imagination took ourselves out to the very edge of the continent today, on a mission.



Ocean Beach is very much an urban coast. As we walked alone on this beach, the Pacific washed over my feet, and I rolled up my jeans. I was seeking seaglass -- green seaglass -- but my visit was at the wrong tide (high), so I would be coming home empty-handed.

All I found was a perfect oval-shaped sand dollar and a green stone.



Green was the mission. I'll explain why in a future post.



Tonight, my friend Mary came in for a visit. The minute she entered my flat, she noticed my bottles.



Mary's an artist, a very talented designer, and a wonderful friend I've known for more than a decade, while we both have gone through more changes than either of us could have imagined.



She recognized my obsession as play. As we talked in my backyard, eating burritos and fresh guacamole from El Matate, Mary helped me realize something.

My art (writing) is not what I can easily monetize in Silicon Valleyese, thus I playfully display my art in this blog and elsewhere.

As she studied my bottles, Mary noticed a certain soft glow they emit as the night sky approaches, darkening the rear window of my kitchen. She took my camera, turned off the flash and shot a set of closeups. Her goal was not to capture the bottles, but a certain subset of colors they contain, when backlit.

The thrill in this for me was not only her reinterpretation of my project, but the possibility that these colors, which I've created, may be useful as a backdrop in her upcoming book, which I will be promoting here in my blog.

Below are a few of Mary's shots. Aren't they sexy?








It almost makes you want to caress them...

-30-

No comments: