Thursday, June 21, 2007

The longest day of the year



We are at a pivotal moment in our year. Today, tonight, we are experiencing the longest period of continuous daylight we will know in 2007. The year has peaked; after this, all days will shrink and all nights will grow, until we are once again in the grip of maximum darkness, next December, six months from now.



For now, all is sunlight and heat.

The plums turn red almost before my eyes, as if they were embarrassed as they reach their ripening age.



My housemate continues to beautify our yard, planting new flowers here and there, which delight me at night, after work, when I discover them.



Other flowers climb the fence.



On my back porch ledge, I continue to experiment with green, which probably should be our favorite color, all of us, world over, going forward, right?

Unless we all become Greens, we are doomed as a species.

I say: Let's survive.

Thus, green, that is the color, with all of its variations and richness and symbolic hope. May our future be green!

-30-

No comments: