Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wednesday Retraced

Have you ever wondered how many times you may have unknowingly crossed paths with someone who, when you finally did connect, turned out to be a life-changer? One of the fun things about making a new friend is retracing your whereabouts over the years, and wondering what might have happened had you had met them then, as opposed to now.



Well, I didn't meet anyone new today but I did pass the same corner in the city five times, and I shot this photo at the first one, when I was pumping gas into my car at the corner of Bryant and Cesar Chavez around 8:30 am.

I was back here, some 15 miles later, around 9:15 am after I had dropped my daughter at "circus camp." The next time I passed this intersection was about 5:30 tonight with three basketball players in the car along with my daughter.

At roughly 8:45 pm I once again passed this point, driving aforementioned four children to the houses where they will spend the night.

Sometime, after 9 pm, I again drove past this intersection, now alone, headed back to the Mission and yet another night alone.





Near my office, floating on the horizon is the world headquarters of Oracle. My 11-year-old son, Dylan, loves this company's presence on the peninsula.




Here is a good self-portrait of me in the elevator to the sixth floor of my office building, where MyWire is created.




I cut away late this afternoon to "basketball camp," where I had the distinct pleasure of watching Dylan, my non-athlete, playing the game with gusto. Here he is on the sideline chanting "De-fense," while his team had the ball...




For the first time in a long time, I saw the pink cheeks on Dylan's face that are so common on his older brother's face, a gifted athlete who always plays hard.




Aidan was excelling at basketball camp, of course, but today it was Dylan who grabbed a rebound and a basket while I was watching. Later, when I asked him what was different about today, he said, "I guess I was more motivated to succeed."

Thus, in the oldest battles for all men, the internal struggle of opposites remains -- Geek v. Jock. Most of us, ideally, probably wish to be both.

Few of us ever achieve either extreme. If we, and those who love us, are lucky, we eventually find our balance, and are at ease with ourselves.

Such is the life journey of boys into men.

-30-

No comments: