Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ploys in the Hood (A Story in Time)



The part of San Francisco where I live is undergoing a building boom. There are lofts and highrises appearing from behind construction fences all over the place. A few years back, there was a Saturday Flea Market on a large empty lot near here every week, where we took the kids. Dylan found a lovely antique set of brass binoculars there once, and I've always regretted not buying them for him.



Now the former site of the Flea Market seems to be an entire block of buildings under construction. I wonder if the ghosts from those Saturday morning sales will inhabit these new structures? I've never believed in ghosts, or leprechauns, or jinns (Farsi), but Junko does, and under her influence I may be changing my mind.



When I was a boy, all of the adults seemed to me to be so old and stuck in their ways. Suddenly, I realize I qualify as old but I feel pretty unstuck in my ways. On the contrary, I feel subject to almost any new influence that enters my sphere.

Not that I do not hold to a set of central principles, mind you. It's just that I may have hit my peak when I was 21. Then, I seemed to know everything there was to know, quite fiercely. The years since have been host to a process of growing less and less sure.

Is there a God?

(then) No!
(now) I'm not sure.

Do we need to have a revolution?

(then) Yes!
(now) I don't think so.

What's your view of business?
(then) I hate it!
(now) I like it.

Maybe it is not so much a change of perspective, with age and experience, as a loss of exclamation points (!).

No comments: