Friday, October 19, 2007

Running in the Rains



It may be fun for the players, but for us loyal soccer moms, standing still at the practice field in a chilly rain is something other than what would normally be termed fun.



Still, as I watched my soccer girl and my soccer boy running around happily, my mind rolled back to when I was a kid, in Michigan, playing tackle football in the rain and mud.



Afterwards, there was always a warm bath at home and a cup of hot tea. Hereabouts, it's pizza Friday night, and the four kids present are arranged around various entertainment modules; while the two adults present are hooked up to our computers.



There are times, believe it or not, when blogging still makes me self-conscious. I've never been the type of person who seeks much attention. I enjoy the shadows more than the stage; writing rather than performing; describing rather than disclosing.



I've tried to be discreet on this blog. Many things happen, of course, that I do not write about. Others take time to process.



One such thing happened very recently. Lots of old friends have been popping up, which is nice. Unless you've been reading us from the beginning, a year and a half ago, you may not know that what triggered this blog into existence was the pain of love suddenly and searingly lost.

My girlfriend broke up with me and drove across the country, where she's been working in hurricane relief on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We've never seen each other over that period, and only infrequently spoken on the phone. We have exchanged emails now and then and occasionally chatted on IM.

Quite a while ago the nature of these exchanges changed from somewhat personal to not very personal at all. Mediated by communications technology, we were able to transition from former lovers to friends living far apart who share a particular passion to try to help the Gulf Coast recover from the worst hurricane in history.

I'd had a premonition about J, that somehow she might be around again. I knew this was happening when I started seeing cars just like hers everywhere I went. One morning, my phone rang and it was her. She was in town (though not her car) and was asking whether we could get together.

We did, twice, for coffee and for breakfast. I also drove her to the airport. She had reached out to me and gotten us together after all this time. She looked great -- I can tell the change suits her. She seems much more relaxed and resolved in her skin.

As I drove away from SFO, I felt happy for her. Free birds need to be free.

No comments: