Sunday, December 09, 2007

Lost in the Fifties



When I was a little boy, in Royal Oak, Michigan, more than half a century ago, I remember one certain December, though I'd be hard-pressed to tell you which exact year it was. I may have been seven or eight; my sister Kathy and I were home from school, maybe because it was snowing hard outside.



I'd recently learned that every snowflake has its own unique pattern -- a fact that astonished me then and continues to astonish me now. My nose was pushed up against a window as I watched these delicate crystals hit the outside pane, their beauty intact for a microsecond, then devolving to water, dripping downward, often part of the icycles that were forming below.



Our big sister, Nancy, gave us activity books courtesy of her friend Stan, who was home from Army duty overseas. I remember especially the tiddly wink game embedded within the book. Soon I was playing fantasy games between imaginary rivals, and (no doubt) keeping records of the results, all of which have long since been lost to time, space, and almost (but not quite) even to memory.

Many years later, in Mill Valley, I played in a tiddly wink "league" with my oldest son, Peter -- a competition that lasted years, and generated many more records, also no doubt lost to time and space, if not yet to memory.

This is a season for nostalgia. I always felt safe and warm inside my parents' house, never alone or scared. Putting up the annual Christmas tree was a family ritual. We played piano and sang Christmas songs. We greeted our favorite ornaments as old friends when they emerged each December from their wrappings of the year before.

Some of the bulbs had stories, and my sisters and I knew them. Others generated fantasies, with their small painted scenes of a pre-WW2 world that was already disappearing before our eyes.

When I grew older and became politically conscious, literate, and traveled, I developed a sort of worldly (if still relatively naive) "sophistication" that was unimaginable in my childhood. Probably for a while, I ignored my memories of a happy childhood, as I pursued an adult career that required qualities I didn't even know I possessed -- aggression, persistence, courage, and the ability to give speeches, raise money, and inspire listeners to action.

Much time has passed since both of those eras. There have been so many ups and downs, including recently, that the thread of my life is often hard to follow, at least for me. This Christmas, I'm choosing to remember the oldest of days, and the joy we once felt, in my family, so far away and in such a different place.

Today we hung ornaments on our Christmas tree. I have no illusions that my youngest kids experience anything like my childhood in their post-modern, post-divorce, discontinuous age. But the boys and I have recently discovered a mutual imaginary world, playing video basketball, that represents a kind of parallel to those lonely tiddly wink tournaments of so many decades ago.

-30-

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Neat memories. I think one of the greatest gifts our parents gave us was the feeling of always being loved as children. Perhaps approval was not always there, but we never felt unloved. Watching Kristin and Roby establish traditions with Siena is fun and they base them on what both families did during the holidays. We are currently up at their house and keeping Siena home for a play day. It is a fun, and after last week, healing thing for us to do.

Love to all your family. Nance

David Weir said...

My love to all of you up there in Northern Michigan!

Anonymous said...

Greetings From A Long Ago Summer At Ludington...

Hello David,
Well it's been a long, long time ago (41 years to my count) that the Hazel and Homer clan met up with The Weirs and friends.
I still get chills thinking about riding in the car with you, Howard, and Mark Miller going 100 mph from the state park into town at night with the lights off.
Hazel and Homer are still going strong. Homer is in his late 80's but is still president of their community's bicycle club. They are in better health than most 50 year olds.
Diana is an attorney and lives close to Hazel and Homer and her son and his wife in the Fort Myers area of Florida. She spent 15 years in the UP and now she’s in Florida. There has never been much middle ground for Diana.
I have not seen Janie in many years but keep track of her through Hazel and Homer. I believe she and her husband have two grown daughters and own a nursery and landscaping business in the Pittsburgh area.
My wife and I are building a retirement home in Costa Rica. I will be retiring next month after working 35 years in the mental health field. Once retired, we hope to share our time between Costa Rica and visiting our two daughters and three grandkids back here in Michigan.
It was certainly great to stumble upon you on the Internet.
Tom Miller

David Weir said...

Wow! You know for many years our family owned a house on Sanibel, across from Ft. Myers, and I spent some of the best times of my life there.

100 mph with the lights off...I try not to remember those kinds of things.

Janey, I remember well...

Thank you so much for finding me.

Anonymous said...

Hi David:

Tom Miller sent me your blog. It made me think of the movie "the Big Chill" about a group of University of Michgian friends meeting after the loss of one of them. That time with Hazel and Homer and you all, was one of the greatest periods of my life.

How are you and Kathy and your parents? It seems like you have lived a bigger than life life. I remember when I was at U of M and you were in hiding or something because of something you were writing about the Detroit mafia. Frankly I am surprised you are still alive?

As Tom said I now live in Florida near Hazel and Homer and visit
Sanibel with guests often. Tell me about yourself, are you married, have childre, grandchildren; what about Kathy. Where is she? What is she doing. I divorced my first husband and moved to Florida. I practice law here and was married a second time to an incedible man, who died only two years after we met. I have two children, David who live near me and managed a store owned by United Technologies. He is going to go for his Juris Doctorate soon, and my daughter, Lara, lives in NorthCarolina. She has a masters in swine nutrition(No I am not kidding) and works for NorthCarolina extension. Both my kids are married, but not grandchildren. I have 12 from my late husband and I love them all dearly.

Sure hope to hear from you. My e-mail is lighthousele@yahoo.com. I am not so sophisticated that I have a blog.

Diana

Anonymous said...

Kathy answering here! I married Howard Kohn and 18 and we had one daughter, Elizabeth, who is married to Garrin Ball and living in Antioch California. No children. Howard and I divorced, and after living in San Francisco for 2 years, working for Rolling Stone Magazine, I went to nursing school there, and after passing boards for California and Michigan, I moved back to Michigan...to Okemos, where I continue to live.
In 1979 I married my wonderful husband Mark Richardson, a family physician in Holt, Michigan and we have 2 marvelous sons who both live in this area. Michael is 25 and in the college andbecoming a certified mechanic. Ian is in collegel and will graduate in June with a dual bachelor's in business and information technology.
I practiced nursing for 17 years in the Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in Lansing, then retired due to health problems. Started a new career as Software Instructor for Viking and Pfaff embroidery sewing machine software, which I continue to do very part time!
Neither son is married as yet, and no grandchildren as yet, though we hope to have that pleasure one day.
Email is ksews@comcast.net