Saturday, December 08, 2007

Fathers and Sons



Brother teaching brother. My 11-year-old has never been drawn to competitive athletics, but under his 13-year-old brother's tutelidge, this fall he's been learning how to play basketball. He tried out for the school's JV team; their first game will be on the 17th.





If Dylan actually appears in some games, and should he take a shot and make one, he'll have his big brother largely to thank. Dad has not been much of a factor. Aidan knows the game better than I ever have, and he's a natural teacher. I suspect he'll be a great coach someday, should he choose to be.

The relationship between the boys is special, and nuanced on many levels. The younger one is the older one's tutor in non-sports areas. The older boy relies on his younger brother for help with math and science problems, computer game advice, and companionship.

As they grow up, their relationship constantly shifts. Sometimes one of them is feeling angry, or alienated, or confused. When that happens, the other often steps in, perhaps instinctively, to provide a protective support layer.

One thing I have learned as their father. If I get mad and blame one for some sort of misbehavior, as loyal as they are to me, the other will step in to defend his brother. That bond is so strong, and one, of course, I've never known. I have no brothers, and quite honestly, have never been able to trust another man that much.

I hope they can preserve their special bond going forward, given all the pressures they will face as teenagers and young men.

-30-

No comments: