Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Loving

Today, in The New York Times, I read about a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who is trying to eliminate spam from our email, even as he fights a rare cancer that has no known cure. What I take exception with from this man was his blunt prediction that we humans will be extinct as a species 90 years from now.

No. I do not accept that. We have the intelligence to have gotten ourselves into this admittedly precarious situation. So my assumption is that we are intelligent enough to find our way out of it. In the names of my grandson, James, and my second grandchild, due next July, I vow to spend the rest of my life helping our species find its way to survive.

The secret, I'm sure, is very simple. We need to understand that we are creatures just as dependent on the others who fly, crawl, slither, or slip within and around us as we are on each other. It's all about love.

My only reservation is: Do I really have to love spiders? I hope not. Toleration would seem to be enough. Sorry, E.B. White!

-30-

No comments: