Monday, December 03, 2007

The News in Hotweirville



Here are the latest headlines in my world:

My oldest daughter, Laila, and her husband, Loic, today announced that they are expecting their first baby somewhere around Bastille Day next summer.

Yay!

As my 11-year-old son, Dylan, reportedly said, "I'm going to be a double uncle!"

That means I'm gonna be a double Grandpa!



Today was also my 13-year-old's first game on the varsity basketball team for his middle school. His team lost (20-15) but he was the top scorer (6) and played valiantly, despite his badly sprained left wrist, which was reinjured during the game.

But he played on, and gave us a glimpse of how good he might be in the future in this sport.

At home, we've been dealing with germs, American style. My Japanese companion has rarely encountered the types of viruses and bacteria that are common here, so it should not be surprising that she has gotten terribly sick this week from the stuff that is, as we say, "going around" in our community.

It makes me so sad to see her lying in bed, coughing and sneezing, sweating and chilling, trying to fight germs her body may not be well-suited to fight. I have been trying to take care of her but we have had all sorts of misunderstandings, mostly cultural and linguistic in nature.

When she is awake and talking, she misinterprets my comments so easily!

Who ever said this would be easy -- having a Japanese girlfriend? Maybe no one. But if someone did, Urusari!

No comments: