Tuesday, February 26, 2008

David's Management Theory (Part One) + Springtime's Promise.1





Here's an old org chart, circa 1997, from my days at Wired Digital. You gotta click on it to see the detail. If you're really interested in what my management theory entails, please click on the title of this post and it will transport you to today's post on b/Net.

***




Everything's growing, petals are falling, the sweet odors of fruit blossoms float over the city. Our weeks cycle through warm, dry periods and wet, chilly ones.

No doubt about it: Every cliche about this season is true. It's a time of renewal, a time of growth, a time of shedding the old and seeking the new.

Most of all, it's the season of hope.

And hope is what I sell, as a manager, teacher, and writer. For confirmation that life sucks and we're all doomed to tragedy, you can find many other voices.

For abusive treatment, fear that you'll lose your job, and confirmation of what you view as your inadequacies, you have many, many managers and academic advisers out there, ready to fulfill your dark fantasies.

I'm just no good at that stuff. I believe in life, in the future, and ultimately, in the innate goodness of human beings.

That's what I write and why I teach, and that is also how I manage.

Idealism has its season and that season is spring. I myself was born in spring (April), and I've always loved the season. Even as a boy in cold, cold Michigan, with frost still on the ground and few specimens to find, I loved building my insect collection for a school science assignment.

I remember finding 11 different species.

The only difference from then to now is that, rather than killing those creatures (which was required to complete the assignment), now I would wish simply to photograph them in their element.

It's springtime and creatures large and small are in the mood to reproduce. Spring Fever, they call it, when we are all wired for love.

What say ye? Make love, not war.

-30-

No comments: