Saturday, April 11, 2009

Letter From an Old Friend

Dear David:

You never write about love anymore, or relationships. I started reading your blog because you wrote from a deeply broken heart, bleeding, leaving no corner of your pain hidden from view. I hadn't encountered a writer like you anywhere before -- in fiction, non-fiction, poetry, or online. At first, I thought this what was a "blog" was, because yours was my very first blog.

Thank you, BTW, for all you have done for me. But why can't you write about love anymore?


When this message (via email) arrived the other day, one thing it didn't do was break my heart. Why? Because I no longer have a heart capable of being broken.

Since this blog's beginning, I've learned many things. One is, do not place too much trust in the various emotional connections that you think you've forged with others, particularly with those who for whatever reason you feel attracted to.

They will only hurt you. They will leave, disappear, abandon you. They will invent reasons to do so. They will find a way to leave you alone, confused, without any clue as to what it is you have supposedly "done" to deserve such treatment.

Why? Because that is the way of all love.

My advice, buddy, is to avoid this fate. Do not open yourself up that much to any other human being.

If it is companionship you need, find a friend.

If it is sex you desire, post an ad on Craigslist.

If you want to be admired, do something worth admiration.

But please, whatever you do, don't "fall" in love. This is a despicable condition, well-documented by scholars as one of the most pitiable states. For, if you do, you'll end up as I am, anyway -- alone, unloved, deserted by those he tried to love.

For no reason whatsoever.

-30-

No comments: