Sunday, April 05, 2009

Tiburon, Continued



When I posted these photos yesterday, I could not bear to also add the words that must accompany this mini-slide show.

Tonight, I can. These shots are of the charming little town, thus named, which graces an eastern-facing peninsula in lovely Marin County, which has become one of the richest enclaves on earth.



This place has history, beauty, and also deeply personal memories for me, from when my older kids used to live nearby, in Mill Valley. My first son and I used to come here to visit The Attic, which sadly closed its doors four months past.



Now, to me, it is a ghost town, a place reserved only for the very rich, almost all white, and apparently clueless about what is happening outside of their sheltered cove.

Don't get me wrong -- Tiburon is a wonderful place, somewhere that a writer, for example, would love to live. But we are living through an era when these places, where artists should in fact outnumber bankers, can no longer be the case.

Not now. Now, only those who have been involved in stealing the wealth of the working and middle classes can afford to reside here.

That makes me ineffably sad. And also, very, very angry.

-30-

2 comments:

taochef said...

I would venture to say, that those living in their sheltered cove will be the ones, in the end, most effected IF things in this country do get that bad.

Without all their "servants" and people doing things for them, that they have not done themselves for a long time, if ever, they will be the losers in the long run...monetary wealth can provide only so much protection.

We may find in the future that skills, long forgotten (and un-learned) by too many (gardening, hunting, food preservation) may be the ones that ultimately separate the "men from the boys" I hope not, but...

This country, in it's economic system, is the only country that I can think of that in it's conception, provides the greatest mirror for evolution, survival of the fittest. Unless of course, we continue to follow the path that this country has in the past 50-75 years of fighting AGAINST the biological drive to survive.

officegal said...

Book for you:
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel H. Pink