Saturday, August 01, 2009

Fresh Fruit



When my ten-year-old planted some small tomato plants a few months ago, we had to warn her that perhaps only a few of the plants would survive and thrive. Such is the nature of gardening in soil and a climate that contains far more obstacles than in my native Midwest.

She shrugged; how the tomatoes turned out didn't really interest her much, since she doesn't like them. But today, on her first day back after two weeks away, I convinced her to try a small slice of one beauty, which fell off one of her plants while still green and I let it ripen on my back window sill.

I sliced an served it with salt -- it was sweet as a red pepper. Why are fresh fruits and vegetables so delicious?

My younger sons are back too; in fact all three of my boys visited today. My middle son went deep-sea fishing in Mexico and caught large Mahi-Mahi. I did the Dad thing, cooking a variety of dishes for all the various friends who stopped by on this glorious summer day in the Mission, albeit a cool and foggy one as it aged.

-30-

No comments: