Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opening Days


Unless you are a baseball fan, it's extremely hard to understand Americans -- our history, our dreams, and our passions. This is our national game because it reflects who we are in numbers, pace, strategy and -- most importantly -- in our dreams.

The Major League Baseball season started today, and for fans of the defending World Champion Giants, it was a sad outcome, losing 1-2 to the hated Dodgers.

But there are still 161 other regular season games -- a long time for the best team to prevail.

I'll say it here clearly -- the Giants will win their division, and probably the National League pennant, and appear again in the World Series.

But that will all become clear half a year from now, when everything about all of our lives will have changed in ways none of us can imagine.

A year ago, if you had told me what I would face in the second half of last year, I would have laughed in your face.

As it turned out, I was a fool, a know-nothing. My entire world got rocked in ways both good and bad, and I'm still not able to explain any of it to myself in logical terms.

But I do know this much. The Giants won the World Series. They were winners.

Even as I celebrated their victory, I found out that for every winner there is a loser.

-30-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sadder still, in my mind, was the Tigers' opener with the Yankees.

Curtis Granderson is one of the most grounded personalities in baseball today. If you've ever seen an interview with him, you know exactly what I mean. It's almost impossible to not like him.

When the Tigers traded him, it came as a blow to many of us – even guys like me who rarely catch a game any more and have only the slightest awareness of current baseball events.

In perfect irony, Granderson hit the winning home run against the Tigers in that opener – as if to punctuate how lousy many Tigers fans felt the trade was.