Friday, January 20, 2012

Not Alone But Connected

This is a very personal post. Outside, here the rain has given the streets sound, in the form of every passing car. Some of my kids love this weather. I'm not sure why, but maybe it is partially due to me.

I have always loved complicated weather. Maybe because when the outside world begins to reflect to me the way my emotional arc travels, the whole universe seems much more in sync.

Or maybe because I'm just looking for an excuse to stay inside and feel safe? So rain says, "David, don't go out."

Of course, there is no safety in staying home, in the end. A disaster could easily strike, such as Katrina or a massive earthquake. Then, if I survived, where would I go?

The only way we grow and develop is by reaching out, going into the snow or the rain and finding out what our earth has to teach us, once the climate becomes challenging.

It's not less true in heat.

A long time ago and long way ago, I learned this lesson on an island in the Gulf of Mexico. There, I had the rare privilege to walk a long beach utterly alone, collecting seashells and other treasures left by the sea.

In the process, I was recovering my physical health, which had been compromised by infections I picked up in India and Afghanistan.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

what a beautifully written piece. I would like to hear about your lessons learned on the island in the Gulf of Mexico.