Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mixed Emotions

At long last, I joined the world of smart phones yesterday afternoon, but at a cost. For years, I've carried three lines for my teenagers, one for myself, and one for another, who no longer is part of the family.

When so-called "updates" came along, as the cell phone carriers like to call them, first I upgraded the kids' phones. But this time, they urged me to upgrade mine, so I did, to an iPhone 4S.

Meanwhile, I gave my old phone to my daughter, to replace the one she has had for a couple years; it was her first phone. It was covered with stickers and filled with photos.

Neither of us realized that by turning in her phone (for a $30 discount on mine), we were losing her childhood photo album. The phone would be wiped, all data expunged.

Last night, after what should have been a joyous occasion for both of us, she was near tears as she recognized what had been lost.

I should have known better, but the agent who helped us tended to mumble, and I couldn't really hear some of what he said. he almost certainly explained that all her data would be lost (once her "contacts" were transferred over to her new phone), but I doubt he said that her photos would be too.

So it ended up a decidedly mixed experience, with me angry at myself -- what is $30 when we were throwing away her first photo album?

It's a confusing time to be a consumer, and I'm not the world's best or savviest consumer by a long stretch. There couldn't be a better reminder of that than what happened yesterday.

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

Oh I can imagine her sadness!!!! Sorry!!!!