Sunday, February 12, 2012

Real Love


My homeless friend, Gonzo, and I were speculating earlier today whether rain was headed our way on this Sunday of a very dry winter. In fact, it's been so dry, and sunny, that the fruit trees in this end of town all simultaneously broke out in beautiful pink blossoms a week or so ago.

I'm sorry to not have a photo to share with you; I'll try to add one soon.

As my neighbor Pete noted, it's a reminder of how powerfully established the animals and plants native to this area are compared to us, the mere builders of concrete, steel, and plastic structures.

That being their collective knowledge to bloom all at the same moment.

One moment there were no blossoms; the next they were everywhere.

***

Time for the youngest coach in these parts to get his license. That is an arduous process, for a teenager. He had to sacrifice not only his Friday night for three hours of indoor instruction, but six hours of his Saturday for outdoor instruction.

By the end of the latter, the 40 or so new coaches were scrimmaging. He was by far the youngest of the group -- everyone else twice or three times his age.

Not a problem for him on the pitch -- he ran circles around the others, including a number of very good soccer players from Brazil, Ireland, Mexico and England. Age, as I've often noted, is cruel.

The young are faster and more lithe than any of the rest of us can even hope to be. While I watched, Aidan scored three goals to lead his squad to "victory."

***

Back and forth, all over town, I drove the kids here and there, there and here. Dylan to see his friends, all of whom ended up spending the night here last night. Julia to a sleepover birthday party.

Me, late on a Sunday night, I'm watching stupid romantic movies that in no way reflect the real world. My latest post denounced the concept of romantic love, which I do not believe in.

This post, however, is about family love. That is the kind I can believe in. Luckily, I do not need to deal with any faithless "girlfriends" this coming Tuesday, the most disgusting "holiday" of the year.

Because my kids will be with me, and they will love the chocolates I give them. And I will love the smiles they show me. And because our love for one another is forever.

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

yes family love is truly worth believing in.

Congrats to your son on his achievements.