Monday, April 30, 2012

Goodbye Kisses

Life is not an even road, cut straight through a field, with trees standing tall on either side, but an uncertain path, switching sometimes violently back and forth, up and down, the way forward disappearing at times. When your next step is uncertain, that's a good time to listen to the signals the earth will deliver to you forthwith. At least that's my philosophy. Today, picking some flowers in my daughter's new backyard to put in a vase for her, I startled a doe from her afternoon nap. She jumped out from the shadows, contemplating me as I contemplated her. We came to a mutual agreement that neither an old, white-haired man nor a young female deer were much of a threat worth worrying about, so she went back to her tasks and I went back to mine. Taking care of grandchildren is a privilege, historically speaking. Only in very modern human history has anyone like me lived long enough to enjoy this privilege. Then again, you have to earn your privilege. These days, I am trying to earn the trust of my granddaughter, Sophia. She is 1. I am 65. Very slowly, she is getting used to me being around. She notices her Mom hugging me and her big brother. This past weekend, she learned how to kiss. Her first kiss was to her brother. She has also learned how to wave goodbye. Today, when she woke up from her nap in the car outside Target, with me by her side, she smiled and then broke into tears. "Where is Mommy?" Tonight, hours later, when it was time for me to leave, she waved goodbye and then she kissed me. That's one I shall treasure. -30-

No comments: