Friday, May 04, 2012

Sun Over the Bay


A lovely day, save for the wind, at Franklin Square, where the girls practiced with their coach. This ended up to be a fun practice, especially one drill where he divides them into two squads, throws the ball up in the air while calling out a number indicating how many and which players from each squad are to race to the ball and then try to score on an empty net.

The girls really got into it and it was a joy to watch.

Afterwards I stuffed some money in the boys' pockets and dropped them off at the nearest subway station and watched them head off to a rock concert in a sports arena in Oakland. They are going to see the Black Keys, and both boys were excited.

Back home, cooked a quick dinner for my daughter, adding an egg to her ramen, and started watching the Giants' game. Our home team is suffering right now, and just lost their star player, Pablo Sandoval, to a broken hand injury.

I've been scaring up a few small jobs lately, trying to add incrementally to my modest income as a writer and editor. At this point, I've accepted that jobs are not to be found, but projects are to be found. Slowly, project by project, I'll build a business and support my family going forward.

Part of this, I hope, will include publishing some of my blog writing as ebooks. More on that as it develops.

I am grateful beyond words to those who loyally follow this blog, especially those who comment now and again, anonymously is fine. Thank you especially to Anjuli and Tyge and my sisters. You guys keep me going.

Words. You know, they are like leaves. In the backyard today, which is blooming like never before, almost a jungle, I marveled at the elaborate leaf structure on the various plants and trees.

Sentence structure, for a writer, mimics biology, when you have hit your stride. The words shine in the sun, shimmy in the wind, and dance like a choreographer would have them dance in a ballet.

-30-



1 comment:

Anjuli said...

yes keep us posted on turning the blog writing into an ebook-- and that autobiography :)

I had to laugh when you mentioned my comments on this blog- because I sometimes wonder if I OVER comment...and indeed my comments are like the leaves you need to sweep up to get out of the way :) ha ha!