Thursday, September 06, 2012

Political Comments

I perhaps should clarify that my reviews of the political speeches I am hearing this cycle do not reflect my own political beliefs so much as an analytical assessment on a quality basis. That may be hard for my more conservative friends to accept, but if I wished to be partisan, I would endorse a candidate and urge you to vote for him. (They are all "hims" this cycle, sadly.)

Romney gave the best speech last week and it was good, but he didn't have to do all that well due to the mediocrity of those he followed.

Obama has a far harder task. His wife, and then Clinton, raised the bar far higher than Romney faced. I cannot imagine him hitting a home run tonight, frankly.

I think the home runs have already been hit this week. I'll call Obama's at bat as I see it after the speech, without bias.

As for the outcome of the election, which will be largely unaffected by tonight's speech, watch three indicators:

* How the numbers in swing states develop into early to mid October. That is when we will be able to predict, on a statistically valid basis, which electoral votes will go to which candidate. Until then, expect volatility.

* The debates. These face-to-face confrontations between Romney and Obama will probably affect swing voters, and energize their bases, more than any other factor.

* Ignore TV ads. With a ton of money saturating major media markets in swing states, voters will certainly tune out and ignore them. This election will not be bought, trust me, by either side.

No comments: