Tuesday, September 04, 2012

The Real Deal

I restrained myself from rating last week's top five GOP speeches, partly out of the old adage my parents taught me: "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."

Had I spoken my analytical mind, they would have been graded from D- to C+. There just was no authentic passion there, nor was there any substance on policy. Ann Romney's speech was a notable failure.

***

I wonder about that advice from my parents sometimes, as well as for how, during my long career as an investigative reporter, I never had anything nice to say about anyone.

Clearly, they did not anticipate my responsibilities as a journalist.

As I've grown older, however, I've been more willing to both criticize some people who don't live up to what we collectively deserve, and compliment others, who do deserve not only our respect but our admiration.

Tonight, Michelle Obama gave a great speech, a passionate speech. What Ann Romney could not do, Michelle Obama did do.

I don't know what this means, politically.

But I suspect America does.

-30-

No comments: