Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Plus and Minus

One problem with blogging publicly, which I've once again started to do lately, is you open yourself to hackers and spammers and all kinds of grief. Lately, someone or someones have so compromised my Google accounts that I had to change my password just to get access to my own content! Just to read my email!

Here is the typical comment that has been lodged against this blog is recent days, dozens of times:

"burberry bags mtdzif wpzi www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com sdbzzt wciq www.livebulberryfashion.com twfrxs urhm ugg boots uk xvwyqn mwcx www.numbjerseys.com bdmyzd whfu http://www.2lv6.com yxojwr taga ugg discount rxszxo somx ugg sale edzvwx qqgg michael kors handbags outlet aiopgg vnrl michael kors online outlet lzzraa ntcb michael kors outlet zvlsff civr longchamp handbags outlet wdxacy netu longchamp outlet soymec zuta longchamp bag zvxvah iykf burberry outlet online kxkwpw wvhz on"

Meanwhile, no real person chooses to comment here, which leads me to suspect no one actually reads what I write anymore.

So I ask you, what motivation would I possibly have to keep blogging when hackers are attacking me in this manner?

This has always been mostly a private journal, shared with family and friends and people I trust. A number of professional associates read it, I know, which is fine, because I trust they know from working with me that I'm doing this on all of our behalf, just trying to find common points of the human experience.

But as I now feel under assault from outsiders, I don't know whether I can be comfortable continuing with this method of sharing feelings and experiences. If the attacks continue, and Google can't shut them down, this blog will soon become history.

***

Before that happens, allow me to tell you about my day. It was 39 degrees when I picked up my youngest son at 6:50 to drive him and his carpool mates to Lowell. The city is one kind of environment at that time.

People who have jobs or children are up and about; everyone else remains safely resting. Mainly, as I crawled around Bernal hill, I encountered other carpool parents.

We all have a similar style. We drive cautiously, given our cargo, we honk lightly when we arrive at the next kid's address, not wishing to disturb neighbors, and we all are glancing nervously at our clocks as we gauge whether we are going to be able to deliver them to school on time or not.

During the day, as the temperature climbed 19 degrees or so, I pursued my usual routine, writing, interviewing entrepreneurs, and then, in the afternoon, picking up my daughter from school and driving her to her mother's house.

There I met my 18-year-old son and had a lovely conversation about his future. He is really becoming quite thoughtful about college and his options. And, given his new interest in economics, he is able to engage in a discussion about the difference about borrowing and saving, about interest paid and interest earned.

I told him the entire difference in my life, to date, is my interpretation of that key variable -- saving vs. spending.

Interest earned vs. interest paid.

In essence that is the dilemma facing our culture. We spoke about that too.

-30-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David, don't assume for a minute that there aren't many of us out here reading your blog every time you write. Sorry if the failure to respond via comments led you to believe no one was reading. Keep up the fight against the hackers -- just mindless machine spawned efforts to be a nuisance. Just part of the online environment. Your words getting through are worth everything. Tamara