Monday, January 14, 2013

Random Moments

For his driving lesson yesterday I had my 18-year-old drive his little brother and me around town for a while, up this hill and down that, along this busy street and that very quiet one.

"You see some strange random things in the parts of town that are deserted," commented my 16-year-old from the back seat. "For example that guy over there who appears to be polishing that light pole. I wonder what that's about."

We stopped at a junk food outlet for the first time in months. "Our family doesn't eat a lot of junk food," he noted. "So it's not really an obesity problem for us."

(He is a bit over six feet tall and weighs just 148 pounds.)

"No, not in our case," I agreed. "I think it's mainly a problem when you eat it every day."

"For us it's more like a treat," he commented.

It's been frightfully cold here lately for a city not built to handle temperatures in the 30s and 40s. Our old drafty buildings often have no central heating, so everyone's wrapped up in sweaters and hats and such.

Futsal season is underway and though my son does not have a team, my daughter does. the problem is she and her teammates started playing before any practices could be scheduled and they don't yet understand the inside game.

Grimmacing through yesterday's contest up on Potrero Hill, which her team lost 3-20, I told the other parents, "They are playing soccer not futsal. But they are two different games. They'll learn..."

Today it was time to help my high school senior apply for financial aid for college -- never an easy nor enviable task. The website, though improved, is difficult to navigate in several ways, and I had to fill out and delete two complete applications before finally successfully (I think) submitting one.

Certainly he qualifies for substantial financial aid on a need basis. We'll see how that turns out...

Random moments from a parent's life.


No comments: