Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Up and Down; the Teeter-Totter of Life

We all know there are good days and bad days. Yesterday felt like a good day. Today did not.

For the first time since moving in here, my landlady announced she is raising my rent. Now I should be grateful, right? But the truth is over the past decade I've often been more like a building manager than simply a tenant. She's had a steady, loyal tenant who managed difficulties when she was MIA.

Nevertheless, rents have risen dramatically in this end of town so she is opportunistically hitting me with an 8 percent increase. That pretty much turns the 12-month year into a 13-month year for me when it comes to paying my rent, which on a fixed income is difficult.

My expectation of having landed a new job also hit at least a speed bump today. I can't even discuss the details. It's just confusing, disorienting, and stressful. After I heard the news, my chest started hurting and it kept hurting all day.

Tonight, trying to relax, I watched the Giants get no-hit and fall into last place. So, bad news comes in threes, they say, and that is plenty for one day.

If I can get a job, after four years of looking, I can afford the rent increase. As for baseball, the season is only half over. My goal is to remain hopeful and set an example for my kids.

-30-

No comments: