Monday, July 01, 2013

Summertime Dad's Monday

Today I had a lunch meeting downtown, in what is called Soma here in SF -- the neighborhood where many of the hot tech startups are located. My youngest went along with me, not to join in the meeting, but to shop.

Alone.

This is a first for her, and for me.

This is the age, when you are the father of a young daughter, that you have to start letting them have experiences out in the city. Of course, all I do is worry, but I've also explained to her, the best I can, about the hazards. Trying to prepare her for the crap that is always out there.

Today, she did just fine. She found some things she liked, bought them, and was waiting for me at her favorite store when my lunch was over.

It's a process, right? A decade from now she may be a hard-charging entrepreneur like the young woman I had lunch with, or more likely, someone working on social issues or with animals, but older, more mature, more confident about her ability to find her own way around the world.

-30-

No comments: