Sunday, July 26, 2015

Growing Up Together

Yesterday, up in windy Arlington Park in El Cerrito, I did what I always do when we get together -- observe my grandchildren closely. I think little kids are so interesting in the way they develop and differentiate themselves within families and groups.

In families with three kids, particularly, you get to see the triangulation of relationships, but it happens as well with only children, two, four or more kids. It is just part of the human process of growing up.

Since I have had so many groups of three (four) within my own familial unit, I've always been intrigued by how the oldest child takes charge, the middle child negotiates space, and the youngest child observes and joins in.

Right now, Oliver is the third of three brothers. Sarah and I think he is a little bigger than his brothers at this age; he is certainly very physical. Just watching him play within the group, you can see his eyes tracking the older kids and then emulating them in whatever they do.

Laila and I discussed Sophia, her 4-year-old middle child. The thing about Sophia is she is the first girl, now with a little sister, and older than Oliver. So she often initiates games that appeal to Oliver when he cannot keep up with the big boys.

I love the photo yesterday of the two of them and little Daisy holding hands, headed for the playground.

Meanwhile Uncle Dylan has become something of the local hero to all of his nephews and nieces. Such a kind-hearted fellow, gentle and tall. He lets them rough-house with him and yesterday played sports with them -- something he doesn't do so often. A real champ.

For me, sitting in my lawn chair and watching, there was so much to see.

No comments: