Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Slower Pace Desired (Sleepless in San Francisco)

You know what I yearn for? Some retreat from Twitter, Facebook, social media of all kinds. It has finally started to overwhelm me, or maybe I am just getting old.

I used to have time to go out in my backyard, lie in the hammock and gaze at the sky. I used to get paid to guide long-term projects through to completion. No longer.

Now all is 24-7 and it is wearing me out. I find that I have trouble sleeping, as I keep worrying about all of the news stories we should be covering that we do not have the resources to cover.

Maybe I have grown a bit too old for this pace? And this place.

Yet I feel I have nowhere to go, so like many older people I just cling to my space and routine and I fear change.

That frankly sucks. I have never before feared change. I have been an agent of change. But the pace of change has overtaken my ability to deal with it. Technology has overtaken any reasonable sense of value.

Over and out.

-30-

No comments: