Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Memories of Place

As you grow earlier, it is natural to think back on the place(s) you grew up, possibly romanticizing them, and to grow nostalgic.

As much as I recall my 22.5 years in Michigan fondly, I have rarely been tempted to move back there. The reasons to do so are compelling -- to see my family members there and to live in a far more affordable place -- I have built my own family here on the West Coast.

I have been here all but one of the past 44.5 years. All six of my kids were born in San Francisco, and four of my six grandchildren were born in the Bay Area or Sacramento.

But through the wizardly of cable TV packages, I have been able to see my childhood baseball team, the Detroit Tigers, a bunch recently and they mention the cities and universities around the state -- Lapeer, Eastern Michigan U., and old memories get stirred up.

-30-

No comments: