Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Problem and Solution Connection

Today I attended, by conference call, my latest board meeting for GreatNonProfits, a group I helped start many years ago. Due to new rules in this state, I will be cycling off the board after the next meeting, in October.

In many ways, though I have probably mentioned GNP rarely here, my history with it parallels the origins of this blog. That's because one of my main preoccupations ~ten years ago was the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and the journalistic work I did on that subject helped stimulate the creation of GNP.

It is funny to contemplate how much of my work has led to non-profits. The Pesticide Action Network after Circle of Poison.

The Rainforest Action Network, based on PAN.

And, of course, CIR, probably my biggest personal contribution to the non-profit world.

Journalists have a variety of motivations for doing our work but impact is certainly one. Since we are always exposing problems, it is nice when what we do helps motivates others to seek solutions.

-30-

No comments: