Thursday, October 01, 2015

October 1st

My youngest son, the only kid staying with me this fall, applied for a job today. He said the interview made him incredibly nervous but he thinks it went pretty well. It is a retail job, doesn't start until November, and will involve being really busy during the holiday period, when he finally once again will have friends in the city.

I think all of us can understand how a young person feels going in for his first job interview. Hell, until I got my current job, during the many years I was jobless, I lost most of the confidence acquired over a lifetime when applying for jobs. After a long career of success.

In those interviews, it's impossible to feel that you are not being judged, and especially in today's American culture, you really are being judged and evaluated.

Plus he is an especially good, sensitive, sweet and brilliant individual. But none of those qualities necessarily gets you a job. I gently suggested that when you do get jobs you have to compromise on a lot of levels. So if he is too busy at Christmas to see his friends as often as he would like he will at least have enough money to have fun when he does.

All I could think of to relax him after the stressful interview was for us to go by El Matate, and get one of his favorite burritos. Tomorrow night we will order pizza. Later tonight, when his brother in Missoula gets online, they will play video games.

Thus is my life as a parent.

(Don't even get me started what it is like at work.)

No comments: