Sunday, September 27, 2015

One of My Readers

Yesterday my youngest son slept in while I fiddled around doing the usual weekend chores -- paying bills, doing the laundry, washing dishes, cleaning...

When he woke up we went to our favorite hamburger place -- Whizburger -- for lunch. Then he watched an exciting Giants game on TV with me. (They won, 14-10.)

In between, he played video games long-distance with his brother in Missoula, who talked to us both over an Internet connection.

In ;ate afternoon, he went off with his Mom to practice driving. He has his license; he just needs to improve his driving skills.

He talked with me about getting nervous in job interviews. This is relevant because he has two coming up. He told me a story that I'd never heard before about an interview two years ago for an internship -- that he got.

In his letter, he addressed the hiring officer as Mister because they had a male-sounding name. When he got to the interview the person appeared to be a female, so he nervously apologized for addressing her as a man.

She then told him that she identified as a man, making the entire exchange even more awkward for him.

That's like in San Francisco for a young guy trying to find his way.

I just love our talks. He is such an impressive young man, even as he takes a gap year from college. He is reading six books -- all of them impressive works. He loves to read, a rarity for his generation.

No comments: