Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Political Aches and Other Pains

Most friends I talk with think things are going to get worse in this country before they get better. That we have an obviously corrupt President is awful, but we do.

I can't imagine what retired people who don't care about politics do all day. I guess they play cards or golf -- both great activities that don't happen to appeal to me. I watch CNN and follow the news through the online editions of our greatest newspapers,

Trump will be impeached. Does anyone care?

***

I've become an expert on falls. What you hurt when you fall doesn't become clear until a few days later. Tonight (it's past midnight here), I realized that during my latest fall I wrenched my right shoulder. I fell asleep early and woke up due to this new pain. I can barely lift that arm.

Now I'll stay up for a while and contemplate our latest political aches. I'm trying to imagine how anyone can defend Trump based on facts. The reality that I have spent half a century discerning the difference between fact and fiction leaves me feeling powerless about my profession's impact.

Look, I get why white people feel anxious about how the country is changing demographically. But unlike many white people, I know many non-white people. There is no pattern between goodness and badness by race or color or creed.

My shoulder hurts because I fell. My head hurts because I think. My heart hurts for our fate as a nation unless we can shed our racism and come together.

-30-

No comments: