Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Pandemic Beards

I imagine most men, myself included, are growing beards and long hair. The barber shops are closed. My hair is all white now.

I sat in the sun and watched small birds take off and land on a bush. The branch they settled on would be the only one moving until a slight breeze came up and shook the whole.

The weather is superb. The sun after days of light rain means everything has turned bright green.

***

If the pandemic kills off the elders, families everywhere will be poorer. Our memories stretch back decades to a different era. My generation grew up in the wake of World War Two and the Depression. We experienced the exhilaration of a nation growing up, while we did the same.

The cars were big, the houses were new, and there were so many of us we broke every school's capacity to handle us. As we got older we brought rock 'n roll to the front as the anthem of a generation.

We danced to that beat.

-30-

No comments: