Wednesday, April 01, 2020

The Silence of the Passing

Now the federal government estimates that from 100,000 to 240,000 may die during the current wave of this epidemic. I say "current wave" because it is clear it will be back long before a vaccine can be developed.

Assuming -- and this is a big assumption -- we get a break from the onslaught this summer, the virus will return this fall and winter and who knows after that,

Meanwhile, we will be coping with losing so many people in short bursts of time. The sad, lonely truth is they will die alone, not surrounded by friends and family. They will be extremely fortunate if one caretaker, wrapped in protective gear, can be there to hold their hand.

In the assisted care facility where I was staying we talked about death. We talked about the virus. One resident, 82, threw up her hands and said, "We're going to die of something anyway."

I was with both of my parents as they passed away. I got to talk to them, kiss them, and tell them it was okay to go. I also was with a few friends as they neared death.

I'm familiar with dying.

But this is unprecedented -- so many dying alone. A profound silence is going to settle over this land. What the survivors can do is find a place to sit in the open air, look at a tree and locate, when it is still, the sound of one leaf turning.

-30-

No comments: