Saturday, October 03, 2020

As He Lay Dying


Often I find myself interpreting life through literary references.

When it comes to my favorite American authors, Faulkner has long been near the top of the list. His 1930 Southern Gothic novel, "As I Lay Dying" -- which echoes Homer's Odyssey -- comes to mind in our present circumstances. It is painful to read. So is contemplating our common fate.

Does anyone doubt what Trump would be tweeting if it was Biden who had fallen ill? We would be subjected to a barrage of tweets about him being too weak to be President and toxic messages of that ilk.

Contrast that with our current reality. The Biden campaign has pulled its attack ads, so as not to hit Trump when he is down. (The Trump campaign has continued its attack ads against Biden.)

It is notable that no leading Democrats or media commentators are gloating over Trump's illness. Trump supporters should be asking themselves "Why?"

I have the answer. Because these people have never been the loathsome creatures Trump has portrayed them as being -- they are by and large decent, thoughtful people who may (or may not) disagree with some of Trump's political positions.

There is nothing wrong with that. It's called democracy. What is critical to note is that a bully only remains a bully as long as he doesn't encounter resistance. Once people fight back, he shrivels up into a little, hopeless ball.

Trump is huddled in a hospital bed, scared, hoping he will get well. Actually, we all are hoping he gets well, including everyone he considers his enemies. But recovering physically will not represent redemption for Trump.

That will only come if he is chastened by the experience; if he finally comes to grips with how awful his behavior in life has been. I hope he know how to pray, because if he does, he should be praying not only to get better but for forgiveness for what he has put our country through.

We elected him President, not God. He is a mere mortal, like the rest of us.

May he get some much-needed rest. And when he wakes up, may he see that the people he demonized  are not sending him messages of evil but messages of love.

And may that help him become a better. person.

***

As the smoke from wildfires has descended once again upon the Bay Area, the sun sets blood-orange in the West. The air is white. Our breathing is labored.

Our world is symptomatic; it has Covid-19.

74 and Overweight, Trump Faces Extra Risks From ‘a Very Sneaky Virus’ -- The president has boasted of his health and is sure to receive the best possible care, but he carries a number of risk factors as he begins his battle with Covid-19. (NYT)

Trump’s debate guests refused to wear masks, flouting rules (WashPo)

Last week, we won an important victory for transparency in our fight to unseal data that would help us understand how U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has handled detainees’ parole requests during the pandemic. (Reveal/CIR)

Poll Finds Voters in Two Crucial States Repelled by Trump’s Debate Behavior -- Biden is ahead by seven points in Pennsylvania and five points in Florida, according to the Times/Siena survey. (NYT)

* 'It's Just F*ck-Up After F*ck-Up' -- Trump's COVID Advisors at Their Breaking Point (Daily Beast)

Facebook, Google and Twitter chief executives to testify to Congress ahead of 2020 election (WashPo)

***

Why Me?

Why me Lord what have I ever done
To deserve even one of the pleasures I've known
Tell me, Lord, what did I ever do
That was worth lovin' you or the kindness you've shown

Lord help me, Jesus, I've wasted it so
Help me Jesus I know what I am
But now that I know that I've needed you so
Help me, Jesus, my soul's in your hand

Try me, Lord, if you think there's a way
I can try to repay all I've taken from you
Maybe Lord I can show someone else
What I've been through myself, on my way back to you

--Kris Kristofferson



No comments: