Sunday, January 09, 2022

Ho-Hum Variants

 

At this point, the news that a highly mutated variant of Covid-19 called IHU has been detected in France barely causes a ripple in our pandemic-weary consciousness.

So what? We’re still getting accustomed to omicron having displaced delta, and we get that SARS-CoV-2 will keep mutating as long as there are enough human hosts available, so we assume it’s going to be with us from now til eternity.

Plus its ability to surprise us is over.

If people want to restrict their activities and perpetuate living isolated lives of fear, they will do so, variants or no variants. Nothing the public health experts in government can say will matter much at this point — their credibility is shot.

The CDC, the FDA, even the once-impressive Dr. Fauci have all lost their sway during this pandemic. They are among its many victims. I don’t even bother citing the many stories that they are working on their messaging these days because what could be more obvious?

Anyway, most people stopped listening ages ago.

The virus has ruined more than what little faith in government institutions remained; it has accelerated the unraveling of a social fabric already frayed by political divisions and extremism.

When I first started publishing these daily essays at the beginning of the Covid crisis, one of my main observations was that dangerous conspiracy theories were proliferating, which worried me deeply.

It appeared that the coronavirus had not only taken root in our bodies but in the body politic at the very moment time when our local journalism institutions had all but disappeared from great swaths of the country.

In the vacuum, conspiracists and extremists flourished.

Those troubling trends have worsened over the past two years; there is little to be hopeful about in our political or our journalism worlds at this point. The best we can say is we have endured whatever Covid can throw at us to date, so if there is more to come, so be it.

On the other hand, Covid-19 could spawn a great novel someday. Long-time publishing exec Steve Wasserman of Heyday Books has a great piece in today’s San Francisco Examiner about many pf the classic works of literature dealing with past plagues. Steve reminds us that authors like Marquez and Defoe have dealt with plagues throughout our literary history and rereading them now may help us gain a sense of perspective.

Just such a perspective is what seems to be most lacking in the public square at present. But humanity has been here before — and survived. That is worth remembering.

TODAY’s HEADLINES:

TODAY’s LYRICS:

“Love Has No Pride”

Bonnie Raitt

Songwriters: Eric Kaz / Libby Titus

I've had bad dreams too many times,
To think that they don't mean much any more.
Fine times have gone and left my sad home,
Friends who once cared just walk out my door.

Love has no pride when I call out your name.
Love has no pride when there's no one left to blame.
I'd give anything to see you again.

I've been alone too many nights
To think that you could come back again.
But I've heard you talk: "she's crazy to stay."
But this love hurts me so, I don't care what you say.

Love has no pride when I call out your name.
Love has no pride when there's no one left to blame.
I'd give anything to see you again.

If I could buy your love, I'd truly try my friend.
And if I could pray, my prayer would never end.
But if you want me to beg, I'll fall down on my knees;
Asking for you to come back
I'd be pleading for you to come back
Beggin' for you to come back to me.

Love has no pride when I call out your name.
Love has no pride when there's no one left to blame.
I'd give anything to see you again.

Yes, I'd give anything to see you again.

No comments: