Saturday, January 08, 2022

Men, Women and Money

 In his wonderful book “Sapiens,” Yuval Noah Harari provides explanations for many of the questions about how human societies have evolved over the millennia. But one great mystery he leaves unsolved is why there is universally such a stark difference in the status of women and men.

He explores and rejects explanations based on the theories that men are stronger, or more aggressive, or smarter, or more competitive. Or that is it simply a matter that women the bear children. Women are supposedly more empathetic; if anything in a species that depends on social cooperation that alone should have resulted in their pre-eminence. 

But nothing, according to his analyses, can explain why men have always dominated and still dominate the social, political and economic power in virtually every known human culture in the world.

Or why they have more money.

In addition, historically men have dominated art, writing, music, architecture, sports, entertainment, religion and the academy as well. And just about every other field you can name.

I certainly am not able to answer the question as to why any better than Harari. It makes no sense to me.

But I do know that in our time, that the balance of power between the sexes is shifting, at least in some parts of the world. This is not happening fast enough or widely enough yet, but women are rising to the top of many fields and maybe — just maybe — that is cause for hope.

After all, centuries of patriarchy have gotten us into the current worldwide mess we face so perhaps the reign of male dominance is finally running its course.

But if the questions about the roots of the inequality of the sexes remain unresolved, Harari has no doubt about the role of money in human social development. Without the shared fiction of money there could be no modern civilization — virtually everything depends on it. We need money to be able to exchange any good or service for something else. And money itself doesn’t discriminate on the basis of one’s sex or gender. 

People do that.

Of course, beyond necessities, we don’t really need as much money as most of us have, but we convince ourselves we do, and the habits created by an abundance of money begin to feel like necessities over time. Living in one of the world’s richest regions, those of us in Silicon Valley are well-acquainted with the downsides of a world where a minority have more money than they know what to do with, while the majority have enough to get by, and a desperately poor underclass persists no matter what.

Though we may be making some progress on the issue of the equality of the sexes here and there, I’m not sure we’re making any progress on the obscene disparities of wealth anywhere on the planet. And nobody knows what to do about that.

TODAY’s HEADLINES:

TODAY’S LYRICS:

“For All I Know”

Merle Haggard

For all I know you never cared about me
And chances are I never crossed your mind
Maybe you won't understand me calling
But darling it's been such a long long time.

For all I know there may be someone with you now
But may be he won't mind the friendly call
You've already made it clear that you stopped loving me
And for all I know you never cared at all.

I can't help it if I sound like I've been crying
'Cause darling I've been crying all night long
I just call to let you know just how much I need you
And for all I know you may be there alone.

Surely you must know I'd give the world to see you now
And could be you'd like to have me one more time
You've already made it clear that you stopped loving me
But for all I know I may have lost my mind.

No comments: