Thursday, October 20, 2022

One Boy's New York

 (Over the years on business trips, I sometimes took one or more of my kids with me. This was one of those occasions.)


Do you know how many taxis you might pass during a trip from W. 78th & Central Park, say, to E. 28th & Madison Avenue? I didn't either, but my informant informs me that the answer is 214.

From the Upper East Side, and the Met, acrosss the park to the Museum of Natural History to Murray Hill, and back up to Times Square, and the Lego-sculptures at 44th & Broadway, in and out of delis, cabs, the subway, coffee shops, up and down elevators in our classic old hotel, we enjoyed a warming trend in the City today.

I got to see the City through the eyes of my ten-year-old partner:

  1. "I know where we are, because I recognize that newsstand. It's the one with all of that inappropriate content."

  2. "The only thing that scares me about New York is the cockroaches."
    (me: 'Have you seen any cockroaches?' him: 'Well, no, but they still scare me.')

  3. "The thing about this place is they even charge you for a glass of water here. Also, the prices seem to be rising. Yesterday I bought a donut and it cost one dollar. Today, I bought another donut in the same deli and it cost $1.60."

  4. "This is a great town for pigeons." (Translation: This is a great town.)

  5. "This is a good place for Sidewalk Images , because there are lots of people and they throw stuff away, like at home ( San Francisco)."

  6. "But Silicon Valley isn't a good place at all for Sidewalk Images. It doesn't seem like anybody lives there, it's just filled by people working on computers and they never throw away any trash."

  7. "Wow, look at all of those people. You're not going to see that many people anywhere but in New York."

  8. "Everybody wonders why I always wear this hat. Well, you lose 70% of your body heat through your head, so that's one good reason. But I also wear it in summer, when it's hot."

  9. "I guess I'm one of those people who likes to be hot because I definitely don't like to be cold."

  10. “I like all of your friends here because they are brilliant.”

Photo by Dylan 

(This excerpt is from an essay I wrote in 2007.)

NEWSLINKS:

No comments: