Saturday, November 19, 2022

Tweet Out

When Twitter launched in March 2006, I was a blogger/media critic with a San Francisco-based company that would be eventually acquired by CBS. 

Somehow, I had developed a friendly email correspondence with one of the four guys who founded Twitter. His messages tended to be short and sweet, often just one word, such as “right” or “okay.”

While I appreciated the brevity, his reluctance to elaborate meant he was not particularly useful as a source.

During this same period, I consulted for a tech startup owned by a French company. Among its advisors was a guy who served as one of the senior advisors to the founders of Twitter. Through him, I learned that the social network's founders were well aware of my frequent articles about Twitter and considered me a “friend.”

That was not surprising. My articles about the service were generally positive although I did pointedly  criticized it for having no women directors. But I liked Twitter a lot. At that time, you could only post in 140-character snippets, which suited an old journalist like me just fine. It was an awesome opportunity to show off my headline-writing skills. For example, it was fun and easy to compose an effective Tweet about my latest column that fit their requirements. 

It took me about 30 seconds. 

My following on the platform grew fast at first, then organically (i.e. slowly) to around 2,000 people. A few hundred were present or former colleagues in the media business; the rest were strangers.

Over the years since, I have gradually lost interest in Twitter as an outlet for promoting my work. At one point, on somebody’s advice, I cleaned out my followers, eliminating people who didn’t appear to have media affiliations, in order to make my feed more “effective” in the eyes of my then-employer.

That company wanted to me promote as much of its content as possible as part of its “engagement” strategy.

Very recently, I tried promoting a few of my Substack essays to my current list of 1,671 followers with practically no effect.

So I guess it is with little emotion that I contemplate what now seems inevitable — the collapse of Twitter as any kind of significant social media player. It appears that the richest man on earth in his infinite wisdom is bent on destroying it.

Maybe as I watch it evaporate, I’ll send out one more Tweet. Maybe “'bye” would suffice.

NEWSLINKS:

 

No comments: