Sunday, October 08, 2023

Elderly Advice

It’s rare when sorting through the daily range of articles that I select one of the self-help variety to include on my list. Serious journalists, of which I purport to be one, usually consider that kind of thing beneath us, not worthy of our time.

Then again, there are exceptions to any rule, and what right to such a haughty attitude do I, or anyone, have anyway?

So today I’m making an exception. The story titled “The No. 1 key to a happier, longer life—‘that younger people don’t’ know, according to the oldest and ‘wisest’ Americans” (CNBC), is the one that caught my eye.

You’ll have to read it to learn the answer to the question posed; I’m not going to steal the author’s thunder. But suffice it to say, when I finally realized I had reached the age that “wisdom” was expected from me by younger people, these are the very sorts of things I found myself trying to tell them.

***

NOTE: In addition to this newsletter, I work as an advisor to a few organizations whose work reflects the basic values I deeply believe in.

One of them is the Human Rights Data Analysis Group (HRDAG), a small group of statisticians who for 30 years have been documenting human rights abuses around the world.

This group rarely receives publicity but this week a report on CNN listed them as one of those on the shortlist for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize. 

If you are looking for some good news, in the form of non-profit organizations doing good work, I’d recommend you check out HRDAG.

HEADLINES

 

No comments: