Friday, September 15, 2006

Empty Nest Time

It's never easy when your child leaves home, as every parent knows. It certainly doesn't help if you're the kind of parent who has "transition" issues, which I apparently do.

Among all of the things I might blog about tonight, the one that means the most to me is this: My oldest son is moving to Pasadena tomorrow. He is entering the PhD program at Cal Tech in computational neuroscience. The photos I am posting tell a story.

He was a beautiful little boy, always smiling.

He was many things as a young boy, curious, aggressive, sweet, strong, fast, kind, observant, and incredibly gifted in math.

He eventually became the valedictorian of his high school class (Redwood High School, 2000).



But now, at the age of 25, he has trouble deciding what to take and what to leave behind. So, our living room tonight is a mess.




In this way, his dilemma is similar to the one we all face, and, of course, why I blog. These stories are the ones I must tell, as other stories I might prefer drift away on the tide, moving further out of reach...



Regardless of other deficits, I am a proud father of a great son tonight.

No comments: