Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sad-Eyed Lady* ( Lady* Triste-Eyed)



You know, my (almost) 8-year-old daughter does not usually have a sad face. Normally, she has a happy face. But last night, as Dylan shot this photo, she seemed to put on a complicated face. She was cooking dinner with me (thus the apron), but afterwards, all fell silent in this apartment. I went searching for her. I found her sitting cross-legged on my bed, looking at herself in the mirror.

I asked her what she was thinking about and she said "nothing." But she kept staring wordlessly into the mirror.

What am I to make of this? Boys never act this way. Even after so many years as a parent, and with three daughters, I feel like I am entering alien territory when I try to help one of my daughters get through whatever it is she is going through.

I know it is not enough to tell them that they are beautiful, even though in my eyes, my three girls are the loveliest creatures on this planet. Or that they are brilliant, which they are; charming, kind, compassionate, strong, athletic, impressive as leaders and teachers.

Maybe what I hit up against is the gender barrier that separates all of us, each from the other.

How, exactly, can a man talk to a woman if he can't talk effectively to his little girl?

I have many more questions than answers.

Q -- Can we be friends after we were lovers?

A
-- Apparently not. My experience is that my ex-lover will not accept my offer of help, as if the core of what we had is no longer relevant.

Q -- Why do women have so much trouble making up their minds about essential things?

A
-- Okay, this could be asked about many men too and there are so many exceptions it isn't even a rule, but in matters of the heart, as we age, as has been noted here before, I believe men show up more often than do women. Hopefully I am not offending anyone, but that's what experience teaches me.

Q -- Where does that sense of hope about the future go between the time little girls become middle-aged women?

A
-- The only answer I have is another question. Is it just dragged out of their beings by repeated disappointments in love?

There is so much more. I have not even scraped the surface. Anyone's perspective is welcome...

+++

(*)
With your silhouette when the sunlight dims
Into your eyes where the moonlight swims,
And your match-book songs and your gypsy hymns,
Who among them would try to impress you?
Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands,
Where the sad-eyed prophet says that no man comes,
My warehouse eyes, my Arabian drums,
Should I leave them by your gate,
Or, sad-eyed lady, should I wait?


-- Bob Dylan

-30-



Sabes, mi (casi) hija de 8 años no tiene generalmente una cara triste. Normalmente, ella tiene una cara feliz. Pero ayer por la noche, como Dylan tirado esta foto, ella se parecía poner encendido una cara complicada. Ella cocinaba la cena con mí (así el delantal), pero luego, toda se cayó silencioso en este apartamento. Fui a buscarla para. Encontré su sentada a piernas cruzadas en mi cama, mirando se en el espejo.

Te pregunté que lo que ella pensaba alrededor y ella no dijo “nada.” Pero ella guardó el mirar fijamente wordlessly en el espejo.

¿Cuál soy a hacer de esto? Los muchachos nunca actúan esta manera. Incluso después de tan muchos años como padre, y con tres hijas, me siento como estoy entrando en el territorio extranjero cuando intento ayudar a una de mis hijas a conseguir por con lo que es ella está pasando.

Sé no es bastante para deciros que que sean hermosa, aun cuando en mis ojos, mis tres muchachas son las criaturas más encantadoras en este planeta. O eso son brillante, que son; el encantar, clase, compasivos, fuertes, atléticos, impresionantes como líderes y profesores.

Contra qué golpeo para arriba es quizá la barrera que separa todos nosotros, cada uno del género de la otra.

¿Cómo, puede un hombre hablar exactamente con una mujer si él no puede hablar con eficacia con su pequeña muchacha?

Tengo muchas más preguntas que respuestas.

Q -- ¿Podemos ser amigos después de que fuéramos amantes?

A -- Al parecer no. Mi experiencia es que mi ex-amante no aceptará mi oferta de la ayuda, como si la base de lo que teníamos sea no más relevante.

Q -- ¿Por qué las mujeres tienen tanto apuro el componer de sus mentes sobre cosas esenciales?

A-- La autorización, ésta se podría pedir acerca de muchos hombres también y hay así que muchas excepciones que no es uniforme una regla, pero en las materias del corazón, pues envejecemos, como se ha observado aquí antes, creo que los hombres demuestran para arriba más a menudo que las mujeres. Esperanzadamente no estoy ofendiendo cualquier persona, pero eso es lo que me enseña la experiencia.

Q -- ¿Adónde ese sentido de la esperanza sobre el futuro va entre el tiempo que las pequeñas muchachas hacen mujeres de mediana edad?

A -- La única respuesta que tengo es otra pregunta. ¿Apenas es arrastrada fuera de sus seres por decepciones repetidas en amor?

Hay tanto más. Incluso no he raspado la superficie. Cualquier persona perspectiva es agradable…

+++

(*)
Con tu silueta cuando la luz del sol amortigua
En tus ojos donde el claro de luna nada,
Y tus canciones del fósforo-libro y tus himnos gitanos,
¿Quién entre ellos intentaría impresionarte?
señora Triste-eyed de las tierras bajas,
Donde el profeta triste-eyed dice que viene ningún hombre,
Mis ojos del almacén, mis tambores árabes,
Si los dejó por tu puerta,
¿O, señora triste-eyed, debo esperar?

-- Bob Dylan

-30-

No comments: